Our Campus

Founded in 1904, The Knox School is Long Island’s oldest established private school. Knox is a progressive, co-ed, independent college preparatory boarding and day school located on 40 acres of serene waterfront property along the North Shore of Long Island, New York.

Historic Houghton Hall

Knox Campus Houghton Hall Courtyard

Houghton Hall is our dormitory for boys, houses the School’s Health and Wellness Center, kitchen and dining facilities, Solarium Art Gallery, and meeting rooms. Named for the School’s second Headmistress, Louise Phillips Houghton, this thirty-five-room Georgian Mansion was built in 1914 by politician Lathrop Brown for his estate called “Land of Clover.” The main house of the estate was designed by his brother, noted architect Archibald Brown, who modeled it after Westover Plantation in Virginia. In 1938, the property was purchased by Stephan LaRosa, who brought in materials and artisans from Italy to finish the interior spaces never completed by the Browns. The house was a summer and weekend retreat for Mr. LaRosa’s extended family until sold to The Knox School for occupancy in the fall of 1954.

The Harvey Dann Administration Building

Knox Campus Dann Building

The Harvey Dann Administration building is the main academic and administrative building on campus, housing the offices of the Head of School, D